Sunday, June 28, 2015

Who Does This? The 50CC Ride Report

As I said in the prologue to this report, be warned that this will be a LONG ride report – just the kind that I like to read.  For all of you engineers out there, I’ll include plenty of detailed numbers.  For everyone else, stream of consciousness prose.

WARNING:  I am no expert or even very knowledgeable about long distance motorcycle riding.  Keep googling and you will find lots of better stuff and far more experienced riders.  You might even find some great ride reports.  Like from my new long distance motorcycling hero that I know only as “Brian from Austin.”  Check out this one from the time he rode through 48 states in less than ten days.  Awesome!  Anyhow, here goes nothing…

Monday morning - Charleston and Folly Beach, SC


I set my alarm for 4:30 AM.  Time zones require math and therefore freak me out so I figured an east coast early start is no big deal.  Besides, I had a few things to do before I would feel good about leaving for two days on the bike and I wanted to make sure that I wasn’t rushed and had plenty of time.  It would be about a 20 minute ride to the start.

Once again I loaded up the stuff that I had along, especially the personal care items that mattered to me – a Monster/ice water cocktail in my Camelbak, apples, protein bars, and sunflower seeds, all in my tank bag.  The ride to Folly Beach and the gas station was a piece of cake. I made special note of the turn that I had missed the day before by turning too quickly.

I got to the station a little earlier than I thought.  I was aiming at a 6:00 AM start.  A nice round number.  A easy marker for my entire trip.  But I was early.  I was also eager so I got my gas a little early and the trip officially started off at 5:47 AM EST. My bike odometer read 66102.  (Please realize that a motorcycle odometer is like a reasonably good guess at distance traveled.  The GPS keeps track far more accurately.  But the 50CC riding log rules asks for mileage on the bike so I’m going to use my bike’s odometer readings for the rest of this report.)

It is really important to say that a 50CC is a challenge but it is certainly NOT a race.  The Iron Butt Association wants nothing to do with speed demons or unsafe motorcycle riding!  Neither do I.  The challenging rides can all be done with planning, persistence, and determination.  As you read in the prologue, I hadn’t done much planning but I had plenty of determination.  (They also don’t tell you that you need plenty of money to do this stuff.  I’m a little short on that so this was going to be a budget 50CC.)

Locked, Loaded, and Ready to leave Folly Beach, SC

I headed from Folly Beach back toward Charleston to get on I-26 toward Columbia.  I paid special attention once again to the turn I had missed during my practice run (by turning too quickly)….so much attention that this time I missed it by not realizing that I needed to turn right where I was supposed to turn right.  I rode right past it.  So much for paying attention.  There wasn’t much traffic at that time during the day so I made a quick U-turn and smiled at the irony that I had already messed up what was going to become a very long ride.

I-26 was a nice ride.  Speed limits seemed like nice suggestions to the drivers around me so I just paid attention to what I was doing and tried not to be a problem to anyone else.  I like ride reports mainly for the narrative rather than the pictures which is great since I didn’t take much time to take any pictures on this trip.

Navigation wasn’t going to be much of a problem either.  I-26 to I-20 to I-10 to I-8 isn’t all that complicated.  I just sat back and enjoyed the scenery.  I also let my mind wander wherever it chose to go.  As usual, when I’m riding through this part of the country I find myself thinking a lot about the Civil War and the on-going battle for civil rights.  Or, as I prefer to think about it, creating a world where people see and treat one another from the same perspective as the God who made them all.

My plan called for 14 fuel stops, each at +/- 180 miles.  You’ll notice that I got pretty close to that throughout the ride.  That just made sense to me.  It would minimize stress and keep my record of never running out of gas intact.

Gas Stop – Graniteville, SC – 8:21 AM EST – 192 miles – 02:34 hr/min total time


I was already appreciating my choice of crossing via I-20 vs. I-10.  I knew it would add a couple of hundred miles to the distance but it was worth it.  The views were beautiful.  I’m always amazed at how many trees there are in the southeast.

Gas Stop – Villa Rica, GA – 11:04 AM EST – 182 miles – 05:17 hr/min total time


At this point, the ride was going great.  The bike was running like a sewing machine.  I was comfortable and just chewing up the miles.  My gas stops were like clockwork.  I was sticking to my routine and I hadn’t made any more mistakes.

I don’t know what I expect to see when I pass through places like Alabama and Mississippi but I’m always surprised at their beauty…and I’m equally surprised by the thoughts that I think.  I’m not really a NASCAR fan but I know that I’m riding through serious NASCAR territory.  I-20 passes right by the Talladega Speedway.  Too cool.

The one averted tragedy of this leg happened as I was tooling through Birmingham.  My mind was dancing around all of the stories I remembered about this city.  The traffic was flying through town.  All of a sudden, the car in front of me swerved to the left and ran over what I assume to be someone’s drive shaft which was laying in the middle of the center lane of the freeway.

Those are among the many moments you hate to have when you are on a motorcycle.  Fortunately, I remembered two very important lessons.  First, don’t look AT the obstacle that just appeared in your path, look at the ESCAPE ROUTE you can see around it.  And second, put forward pressure on the side of the handlebars where you want to go.  Just that quick, those thoughts came into my mind as I did exactly that.  And I just about completely missed it…I winced as I felt my front tire just barely touch it.

I waited for the sickening feeling of losing air in your front tire to happen…but it didn’t.  “Thank you God” crossed my mind as I flew on down the road.

Gas Stop – Fosters, AL – 12:44 PM CST – 184 miles – 07:57 hr/min total time


On into Mississippi.  It was fun to spell that state when I was a kid.  I thought I was something once I learned it.  I was listening exclusively to country western music on the trip as that was all I had on my iPod and I didn’t take time to create any special playlists.  I kept thinking about Johnny and June singing about Jackson.

Gas Stop – Clinton, MS – 3:23 PM CST – 185 miles – 10:36 hr/min total time


Traffic was steady all along I-20 but it wasn’t anything like I-10.  I’ve been down this road before but not often so it all felt new to me.  I was excited about getting back into Louisiana because it was that much closer to Texas.  Most of the time it just felt like I was riding through a green tunnel of trees.  I kept my speed to the limit +4 so I wasn’t feeling the stress of looking for LEO’s (that’s law enforcement officers.)  The ride was going good.

Gas Stop – Minden, LA – 5:58 PM CST – 181 miles – 13:11 hr/min total time


I finally crossed over the Texas state line.  As I expected, the highway instantly improved.  Texas sure does value its roadways!  I was starting to get a little tired at this point, just riding steady for over 13 hours will do that to you.  But getting back to Texas felt good.  For awhile.  Longview, TX, was one of my time checkpoints.  As you can see, my goal was to get there by 9:45 PM. I killed that.  But then it occurred to me how much farther I had to go.  Yikes!



I stopped for gas just before heading through the Dallas metroplex.  Since it was getting dark and I had a long way to go, I decided to replenish my Monster/Water cocktail.  Before the trip started I had purchased four cans of Monster, thinking that I would drink two each day of the ride.  I opened my top case and reached for my second can of the day.  My heart dropped as I felt how light it was and realized that it had exploded somewhere along the way.  Everything in my top case was covered with the sticky remains of 16 oz. of sugary energy drink!  YUCK!  But I didn’t have time to do anything about it so I just grabbed the next can and headed into the gas station for more ice.

Gas Stop – Terrell, TX – 8:28 PM CST – 186 miles – 15:41 hr/min total time


A person’s mind is a fascinating thing.  On a challenging ride like this one you have to be prepared for your mind to play tricks on you.  For me, passing through the Dallas metroplex was hard.  The traffic was heavy and just confusing enough.  The rules say that trucks aren’t allowed in the left lane but that doesn’t stop Mr. Dually Pickup with his 20 mule team horse trailer from flying down the fast lane at 57 mph.  I saw the signs for I-45 south to Houston and gave brief consideration to all the time and money I would save if I just turned and headed home.

But I don’t quit so I just focused on avoiding all the cars and trucks around me and looked forward to what I hoped would be a quiet highway on the other side of Fort Worth.

Gas Stop – Baird, TX – 11:44 PM CST – 201 miles – 18:57 hr/min total time

And Tuesday morning came at some point along the way...


I stopped at a Love’s truck stop in Baird, TX for gas. The rules of the 50CC are very specific.  You need a gas receipt at every stop that clearly states the time, the date, and the location of the place where you get gas.  This didn’t happen at this stop.  For some reason, this particular station only chose to list the Love’s station number.  So I went in and asked the clerk if she had a location business card with their address on it.  Of course they didn’t have that.  It was nearly midnight.  I was clearly tired after 19 hours on the road and I didn’t have time to go hunting for another option so I took the receipt as it was and will later hope for mercy from the Iron Butt ride proof texters.

I was a bit disappointed in that I had always heard about how desolate it was around Midland and Odessa, TX, but I have never seen it in the daylight.  Kenny and I rode out that way on our SS1000 ride but we turned off I-20 at Big Spring and never got as far as Midland.  Here I was in the territory yet again but I couldn’t see anything beyond my own lights.

The deserted road I was hoping for – like my nighttime ride through Florida just two days before - didn’t happen.  If I wasn’t coming up on yet another 18 wheeler I was being passed like I was standing still by somebody in a service truck.  It was dark out and I was seriously wishing I had auxiliary lights instead of just improved lights.

Then I hit road construction. I slowed down far enough to clearly feel in control which worked for me but not so much for the 18 wheelers that were now regularly passing me.  So, with deep gratitude, I approached Odessa and then tragedy struck again.

I missed the first exit which promised a gas station but I figured I would be OK.  I had been on reserve for awhile and I didn’t want to push my luck too far so I took the “Grandview” exit.  The first two gas stations I came to were closed so I stopped and punched “Fuel” into the GPS and followed it to a Stripes gas station.  Surely that would be open!  But it wasn’t.  The pumps were lit up but the store was closed.

So I decided to try the pumps anyway.  They worked!  I filled my tank and, when I was done, pushed the button to get a receipt.  It said “Printing your receipt” and then it said “Receipt below” but the pump was obviously out of paper because no receipt appeared.

This is disaster on a cert ride.  Gas receipts are everything!  So once again, for the second time in Texas, I knew I would be falling at the mercy of the proof texters.  I took a picture of the gas pump and then made my way back to i-20.



But, of course, with the road construction there was no longer a working on ramp to I-20.  Instead I was directed to another road on the wrong side of the highway.  I followed that for a mile or two when I came across another Love’s station next to a highway on ramp.  I stopped at Love’s to buy a bottle of water…just to prove that I had been in town, and off I headed west into the darkness.  I sure hate to think that my ride won't be approved because someone forgot to fill the receipt paper before closing time.  (Or that I forgot that I could splashed a little more gas in at the Love's.)

Gas Stop – Odessa, TX – 2:56 AM CST – 198 miles – 22:09 hr/min total time
 

Gratefully I left Odessa in my rearview mirror and then, less than 10 miles out of town, it started raining!  Raining in desert West Texas!  I couldn’t believe it. It wasn’t enough to make me drag out my rain gear but it was enough to make me start looking for a place to rest.

Rest Stop – Ward County Rest Area – 4:00 AM to 5:51 AM CST


I got to the Ward County Rest Area and, tired though I was after nearly 24 hours of straight riding, my crazy mind questioned my rationale for stopping.  I actually missed the road into the rest area because I was second guessing myself.  THAT was a serious warning sign to me so I went IN the OUT door and found a place to park.

What happened next is affectionately referred to as sleeping in the “Iron Butt hotel.”  I do this at least once on every long ride and actually I like to do it.  It feels adventurous to me. And it is the one way in my life that I ever can feel some sense of solidarity with homeless people.  I lock up my bike, take my tank bag with me as a pillow, find a picnic table, lay down on the ground next to it, and fall asleep.  I set the alarm on my phone to sleep for an hour and did exactly that.

An hour later I woke up feeling pretty good.  I started getting ready to get back on the bike when I realized my cell phone was down to 4% of battery left.  That was not going to be a good thing.  But luckily, I had a 12 volt charging thing in my top case into which I had already plugged my USB phone charging cable.  I plugged my phone in and listened for the little tone that would tell me that it was charging.  No tone.  I pulled out the USB thing only to realize that a good deal of my exploded Monster drink had made its way into there and my charger was no longer an operational component of my motorcycle.

So I resorted to plan B.  I got out my wall charger and headed to the rest room.  I found a place to charge my phone and laid down on the floor for another 30 minutes of rest.  Afterwards, feeling as recharged as my phone, I headed back to the bike and back on down the road.

With some degree of accomplishment mixed with relief, I got to the intersection of I-20 and I-10 and finally felt like I was really heading west.

Dear old Texas was not very kind to me on this trip!

Gas Stop – Van Horn, TX – 7:23 AM – 167 miles – 26:36 hr/min total time


While I knew that leaving early would help me make it through Atlanta after rush hour I also knew that I would pay the price later on down the road.  I did pay that price as I rolled into the morning rush hour in El Paso.  That might not have been so bad but they are replacing a major bridge on the interstate so all traffic got diverted off the main lanes.  Which was a major pain. 

On I rolled through El Paso, ever mindful that Mexico was just off to my left, the powers that be long ago having made the arbitrary decision that the Rio Grande would not be just a river but a border.  The children who are born on both sides have no say in the matter but what a difference a few yards do make.

As the sun continued to rise, so did the temperature.  I had put my leather jacket on to sleep at the rest area and I kept it on through El Paso but I was already looking forward to taking it off at the next gas stop.  The west Texas winds were helping me so I rode a few extra miles before my stop in New Mexico.

Gas Stop – Akela Flats, NM – 9:17 AM MST – 206 miles – 29:30 hr/min total time


I really love riding through the desert.  Those are the scenes, those initial ride scenes, that always stick with me from “Easy Rider.”  It helps me appreciate how nice it was for those two bikers to come across the crew that invited them for a swim.  Little did I know just how much I would want that same swim in just a couple more hours.

Not long after passing into Arizona you come to a place that says “Texas Canyon.”  It is one of my favorite places along I-10.  It feels like the land of the Flintstones with the huge boulders and rock formations.  If I wasn’t in such a hurry, I would have taken pictures.  So I took lots of mental snapshots and rolled on through.

I stopped for gas in Benson not realizing that I was going to see what I was going to see.  The guy who pulled into the gas pump right behind me had done what I believe to be the most creative packing the truck job I have ever seen.  Just get a load of this guy's load!



Here's an aside:  On the way back to Houston, I believe it was also in Arizona, maybe even Benson again...I'll admit that I was a little punchy...but I saw my first electric car recharging station in my life.  Believing this is likely to have something to do with the future, I took a picture.



Gas Stop – Benson, AZ – 11:17 AM PST – 198 miles – 32:30 hr/min total time
 

After Tucson, but before Phoenix, I headed off on I-8.  At first, that feels like the road that time forgot, especially if you are heading west.  A two lane ribbon of asphalt covered with tar streaks, it feels like the road used to be important until everybody forgot it was there.  And man did it start to get hot!  HOT kind of hot!  I don’t care if you call it a dry heat or what you call it but all I know is that the only way to experience it would be to preheat your oven at home to 400 degrees, wait 30 minutes, and then just crawl in.

Here is where the cooling vest is really a safety requirement.  Once I got to Gila Bend I went into the bathroom and soaked my shirt and vest in water.  I put on full fingered gloves, the thin liners you wear inside your winter gloves.  I reapplied my sunscreen and I thanked God for my modular full face helmet.  Then I just hunkered down and took the best that the desert could throw my way.

Gas Stop – Gila Bend, AZ – 1:55 PM PST – 166 miles – 35:08 hr/min total time


Notice, mind you, that I was riding through the desert in the hottest part of the 115 degree day.  But yes, it was a dry heat. A blistering “you have got to be kidding me!” kind of dry heat.  And yes, like my Mom always told me if I swallowed a marble, this too will pass.  And it did.

At some point along the way you pass a sign that says “Agua Caliente Road”. I remember seeing that and my fever blistered mind thought, “I think that is Spanish for ‘No Shit Lane’!”  Then came California.  Still more desert and still more heat but one more step closer to the goal.

Gas Stop – El Centro, CA – 4:56 PM PST – 181 miles – 38:09 hr/min total time


I don’t know how to describe the final stages of I-8 over the mountains of central California on into San Diego.  I suppose the locals all take it for granted but for me it was mile after mile of amusement park riding.  Absolutely thrilling.  You climb and climb and swoop down and around.  The cars around you are flying so the best you can do is just keep up.

I rode hard, keeping my RPM’s up and letting my engine do the brake work as I flew with everybody else around the big swooping curves.  The only bad thing was that, somewhere around El Centro, I caught a bug in my right eye and I was having a little trouble seeing.  And yes, I was riding straight into the quickly setting sun.  But even that couldn’t take away the thrill of that road. Loved it!

Then it was gravy time.  I had dialed the address for my target gas station into my GPS long before getting to California.  Ocean Beach Shell, 4794 Voltaire, San Diego, CA.  It was an address I had noted a couple of years ago while reading someone else’s ride report.  I have no idea how I got there.  I just followed the turns.  

I also have no idea how anyone gets anywhere around San Diego without a GPS!  I followed the turns, followed the signs as best as I could see them, and the next thing you know, I pulled up at a nondescript gas pump at a corner gas station and I had arrived!

Final Stop – Ocean Beach, San Diego, CA – 6:57 PM PST – 120 miles – 40:10 hr/min total time



I pumped my gas, got my receipt, logged my stop, and then called Kelley to share the good news.  It felt a little weird to feel a sense of accomplishment after doing something as foolish as riding across the United States just to know that you had done it.  But it felt good.

Kelley helped me figure out where I would be spending the night and the next day.  I wanted a Best Western with a swimming pool and I got it.  But first, there was a little matter of collecting some sand and water from the Pacific.

I got back onto Voltaire and followed it a few blocks down to the parking lot next to the beach.  I rolled in and parked next to two women who were packing up to leave for the day.  I asked them for help – one to show me how to get to the beach and the other to watch my stuff.  I have no idea who they were but they were very kind and I had my ocean in a bottle.  Then it was off to the hotel where I treated myself by ordering a delivery pizza.  I slept like the dead.



The Morning After


The rules of the 50CC require that you get a witness at both the beginning and the end of the ride.  The first choice is a police officer.  Or you can ask for a local member of the Iron Butt Association to be your witness.  If you are able to do it during business hours, you can ask the employees at the San Diego BMW motorcycle shop.  But the preferred choice is a police officer.

I hated that.  Police officers are busy.  I dreaded finding an officer and asking for her time but I knew it had to be done.  Since it didn’t have to be done immediately, I decided to do it the morning after I arrived in San Diego.  My plan was to ride back to the gas station, plug “Police” into my GPS, and hope to find someone sitting behind a desk to accommodate me.  I texted Kelley and told her that I was off to find a cop.

I pulled out of my motel onto the feeder road and, SERIOUSLY, just two driveways down, a San Diego police car pulled out in front of me!  I rode up beside him at the next stop sign and asked him through his window for a few minutes of his time.  The next thing you know, my witness form was signed and my ride was officially over.

I spent a little time riding around San Diego.  I stopped by the Harley shop where my bike was serviced back when I was on the Four Corners tour.  And then I went back to the motel to spend the afternoon by the swimming pool, beginning to write down my ride report for this blog and organizing my stuff to send into the IBA.

Thursday morning I slept in, took my sweet time getting loaded up, and headed back to Texas.  I spent the night in Van Horn and rode on back to Houston on Friday.  I got home about 8:45 PM, a few minutes past one week since the thought occurred to me that maybe I could try and ride across the United States in two days.

Mission accomplished.  If I have to explain it, then you just wouldn’t understand….

And for you engineers:
     Total trip: 5306 miles
     50CC:  2547 miles
     Average speed on 50CC: 63.4 mph
     Average gas mileage:  35 mpg









No comments: