Monday, June 8, 2015

Gearing Up

When I last checked in I had test ridden a brand new BMW GS 1200 Adventure.  I was “this close” to trading in my Harley and making the jump to adventure touring.  But I just couldn’t pull the trigger.  Nor could I let go of the possibility.

So I decided it might be better to tiptoe rather than dive into another kind of riding.  I started looking at used bikes. (Some dealers actually let you test ride a bike before you buy it.  But they are the rare exception.) Instead of breaking the bank to buy a new bike I realized that I could break the piggy bank to buy an older used one to see if I really might like to make a change.

I rode a Triumph Explorer and a Yamaha Super Tenere.  Both were OK.  I preferred the Triumph.  But both were too expensive.  And then one day it happened.

I used my Friday day off to ride to New Braunfels, Boerne, and San Antonio to check out some bikes I saw online.  My first and last stop was in New Braunfels.  There it sat, just inside the front door, not the bike I went to look at but a 2006 Suzuki V-Strom DL 1000.  Great condition, only 16,000 miles, and the price was right.  So I got it.



Over the past few weeks I have been heating up the Internet to whip the bike into the shape I need it to be in.  First order of business was tall guy stuff, next up was protection for taking the bike off-road and on trails.

In no particular order, I added:
  • ·      A new Givi Airflow windshield to stop its horrible head buffeting. It worked.
  • ·      2 inch risers for the handlebars
  • ·      A new OEM gel seat to replace the Corbin it came with which was obviously designed for a much shorter person than me.
  • ·      I lowered the footpegs and added highway pegs
  • ·      Essential additions included a center stand (I can’t believe it didn’t come with one already on), a skid plate, engine crash guards, a radiator screen, and a fork brace.
  • ·      I wired in a GPS mount, a 12 V power plug, and a battery tender.
  • ·      And I added a new tank bag so that I can at least carry something since it didn’t come with a top case or panniers (which HD calls saddlebags.)
The one thing that the bike doesn’t have that I consider absolutely essential is a throttle lock.  I tried to install a Vista Universal Cruise Control lock but it didn’t work.  Or at least I couldn’t get it to work.  I’ll see how I do without it for awhile before I try installing it again.

So far, I love the bike.  It is light, easy to roll around, quick, and reasonably comfortable.  I say reasonably because I still ride my Harley and, every time, I marvel at how comfortable that bike is.  Those guys who say their adventure bikes are built for long distance comfort have no idea what they are missing.  Or else they just have stronger backs and shorter legs than I do. No, they have no idea what they are missing.

My first “long ride for this year” plan was to ride up through Colorado and Wyoming with Kelley flying to Denver to join me for a few days.  But having a new bike with new possibilities has changed all of my internal rules.  I would never have considered trailering a bike anywhere unless Kelley was riding in the truck with me but the V-Strom has invited me to reconsider.  So now the plan has changed.

I’m going to trailer the V-Strom to Big Bend National Park and spend a week riding roads and trails.  Then back to Houston to trade bikes for a week in Arkansas with Kelley.

Since I will be on a new bike, and out of cell coverage, I got a Delorme Explorer tracking device for the trip.  I added a new link to the blog that works with that device so the world (or at least the five people who care) can always see where I am when I’m gone.  We will be testing this out before I leave and then hoping it works as advertised.



I leave on Monday , June 15th and I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments: