Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Epic 25th Prep Continues

Yesterday was a big day as Kelley and I brought my bike to the doctor.  We were at Katy Custom Cycles before they opened so we could drop off the bike and still get to work at a reasonable time.

I gave them the pre-trip list:  Change all the fluids.  Adjust everything that needs to be adjusted.  Replace the brake pads if those now on it aren't ready for 12,400 miles.  Mount and balance the new Michelin Commander II's.  Replace the stock speakers with new Boom Audio faring speakers.  Call me if you notice anything else that needs to be done.

Picking a bike repair shop is a big deal for me.  I have a 100,000 mile warranty on my bike so I don't do anything significant on it by myself.  I don't want to be blamed if anything isn't right.  This means that I need to use Harley certified mechanics.  But which one?  How do you choose?

Here in Houston we have several Harley dealers.  A couple have bad reputations - poor service, high prices, take forever to get anything done.  I've had service done at three dealerships in town - which leaves me with two places that I will never use again.

The best service relationships I have had began with word of mouth testimonials from friends.  My friend, Murph, is a mechanic himself and I trust him.  He's the first guy I call with everything.  Years ago he told me about Mike who ran a small shop not far from my house.  Mike took care of everything for me.  His prices were reasonable.  He gave me his cell number with permission to call anytime.  One time when Kenny's bike broke down in the middle of nowhere on our way to Sturgis we called him on a Sunday afternoon and he offered perfect long distance diagnostics.  But eventually he closed down his shop and returned to the dark side as a car mechanic.

Last summer I heard about a new place from another friend.  I had some things done prior to riding again to Sturgis.  The prices were amazing.  BUT, the work...not so much.  They installed a new set of ape hanger handlebars and messed up the wiring.  Both my cruise control and stereo got burned out.  That led to a service at a Harley dealer in order to get warranty work done.  I won't be going back to that place again.

This time I called Murph for advice and found out that he used to work with the mechanic and service writer at Katy Custom Cycles.  That is also where Old Kenny gets his work done and New Kenny just had some stuff done as well.  And now they have my bike.  They promised to get it done by Saturday afternoon.  I hope so....

Word of mouth.  Even though businesses spend multi-millions of dollars for advertising and marketing, everyone knows that the personal assurance of a trusted friend is the most effective advertising there is. There is no surprise in that.  The Christian faith has long worked the same way.

No comments: