Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Day Two - Realizations

Start - Ocala, FL
Stop - Key West, FL
Today's miles - 530
Total - 1648

Today was all about realizations.  Last night I realized that my GPS tracker quit working when I went through the tunnel in Mobile, AL.  The satellites lost me and then there wasn't good enough cell coverage to find me again until I called in.  The whole thing soured me on that little piece of technology.

It was made worse because I didn't need gas in Mobile even though I should have when I turned off I-65 to I-10.  The IBA requires gas receipts for key turns in certified rides.  But I thought, "I don't need gas now.  I don't want to stop now.  I'll let the GPS tracker prove that I went this way."  So much for that.

So I went to bed last night and decided to just do what I want.  I don't want to be on the IBA clock.  I'm on vacation!  This is all about NOT being on a clock.  So I went to bed without an alarm.  Woke up naturally at 8:00 AM feeling great.  Hit the road at 8:43 AM. It was a gorgeous day.

Since it was hot I decided to test the cooling vest I bought off Amazon for $30.  Thank you Jamie and Paula!  I soaked it in cold water and wore it, for the first tank of gas, over my LDComfort shirt.  It worked perfectly.  It felt like I was riding in an air-conditioned room.  After I got gas, I tried it under the shirt and it worked even better.  It lasted the rest of the ride.  In the old days I would wet and wear a cotton t-shirt under a leather vest.  That lasted about a 1/2 hour. This cooling vest is the bomb!

Third realization - Yesterday I passed a biker in full long distance riding regalia.  He was on a BMW with a dash full of electronics, an auxiliary fuel tank, full face helmet, and full Aerostitch suit.  Today I passed a big guy with a bald head, full beard, leather vest, full of jailhouse tatoos, riding a Harley Road King.  And I realized that I am who I am.  I'm sure that the BMW guy was a nice guy and all, but that's not who I am.  I would much prefer hanging with the Harley guy.  I think I would like listening to his stories a whole lot more.

When I saw him I also realized that I am going to do the rest of this trip in the way that I like.  I'm going to get up when I get up.  Leave when I'm ready.  And ride as long as I want to.  I have five more corners to go, I'm counting on spending a Sunday with my sisters, and I need to be home by July 10th.  That's enough clock watching for me.

And now the next realization - Interstate highways are scenic tofu.  I don't like riding on them.  The best part of yesterday was cutting down from Jackson, MI, to Mobile, AL.  State highways and back roads let you see reality.  You pass homes and places and cut through towns.  You see America.  Now today was OK.  Interstate 75 on the west side of Florida is a fine road.  Very nice rest areas.  Different kinds of trees.  Alligator Alley.  All very nice.  But mostly, it gets you through Florida as fast as possible because that really is the idea.  The same tomorrow heading up in the east side on I-95.  I'll be on lots of interstates between here and Milwaukee but it will be the roads that follow that I'm going to love.



I made one stop on Alligator Alley.  I didn't see a single gator but I imagine they were watching me like...gators.  i could feed a family of 'em.

I got to Key West about 5:30 PM.  So I didn't make the Bunburner 1500 but I didn't really care.  It was better this way.  I rode in broad sunny daylight and it was great.

And now the final realization - I have a wonderful wife.  I thought about Kelley a lot today.  She is an amazing woman.  She is so incredibly selfless that, while she cried as I headed out the door, worried that I would do something stupid like hurt my motorcycle, I know that she cares a whole lot more that I have a good time than she does about her worries.  That is what really killed me about my GPS tracker not working.  The whole point was that Kelley could check in on me whenever she wanted.  She would like to do that and I will love knowing that she is.

The NEXT time I come to Key West will be WITH Kelley and I promise to walk into any art gallery she sees AND I'll rent a charter boat to take her fishing.  She actually loves fishing.  Like I said, an amazing amazing woman.  I love you.



No comments: