Sunday, November 15, 2015

So I Gotta Run An Errand

There’s a popular saying amongst those of us who love long distance motorcycling: “If I have to explain it, you won’t understand.” That could very well be my theme song as even I surprise myself with the craziness of this hobby.

I’ve now owned a KTM 1290 Super Adventure for just shy of two months. The bike is almost there. I really don’t care about style, what matters to me is comfort and safety. So the day after I bought the bike I called Russell Day Long seats to ask about the next available ride-in seat build date they had available. More on that later. For the time being the first order of business was making the bike comfortable and tall guy friendly.

Thus far I’ve added a set of 2” Rox Risers (to raise the handlebars so I’m not bent over forward as much), widened the mirrors (so I can see past my shoulders), added Pivot Pegz (to get a little bit more legroom), and replaced the stock windshield with a Madstad windshield and bracket (to get the wind off my face and over my helmet where it belongs). I also added some cheesy and virtually useless highway pegs that mount on the crash bars. I hate them but it is the best I can do until I add a skid plate and a bolt on Enduro Guardian highway peg bar. That will need to wait.

On the safety and convenience side of things, I’ve wired in my GPS mount, an extra power supply, and a set of Cyclops auxiliary lights. I changed out the stock headlights for some extra intense Cyclops LED bulbs. I’m not thrilled with the new lights but they are much better than stock. I put a screen on top of the radiator for peace of mind. I added a sidestand enlarger which is an absolute must given the puny bottom to the stock kickstand, and a KTM tank bag. I love tank bags on bikes but the KTM mounting system isn’t nearly as nice as the GIVI mount. But I have it now so I will use it. And, after noticing that the tank bag rubs on the tank, I added some plastic tank protectors under it.

Like I said, the bike is almost there.

All of the reviews and ride stories that I’ve read have said that the hard cases that come with the KTM are trash. The latches are irritatingly difficult to close and the boxes break or fall off if the bike goes down on a trail. That doesn’t sound good. I’m going to give them a chance before I decide whether to replace them with something more substantial (and expensive) or with a set of large soft bags that I would only use on trips. That can wait.

What can’t wait is a Russell Day Long seat.

I already have well over 2300 miles on the bike and I have learned that anything beyond 30 miles on the stock seat is torture. It is not at all comfortable and even worse because I know the difference that a RDL seat makes. Now I could just make a mail in appointment, send my seat in with pictures and measurements and hope for the best. But I can’t do that. Given the option of showing up and having a seat custom built just for me, having a chance to test sit it before it is finished, I just have to do it.

So I gotta run an errand.

As mentioned above, I called RDL about their next available date, turned out to be November 20th. I did a quick check of the church calendar and realized that the 22nd would be a great day to miss, so I nabbed the date and put it on the calendar. The plan is to leave on and ride the 2100 miles to Shasta Lake, CA. I hope to visit my aunt and uncle in Mesquite, NV, on the way. The seat will be built on Friday and then I’ll have a couple of extra days to get home.

I’ve given some thought to perhaps putting the bike on a trailer to save it from putting 4500 miles on it (and my body from the first 2100 of those). But that would mean putting the miles on my 2005 Expedition, not to mention driving down the highway drooling over the roads I would rather see from my motorcycle seat. So I finally decided that this little errand would not only result in a new seat, it would also be the first long distance test of the bike. And it will be a doozy.


I’ll add the report when its done. As usual, the tracker will be fired up for Kelley's peace of mind.

No comments: