Monday, June 2, 2014

Day One - Texas Is A State of Mind

Today:  895 miles
Total:  895 miles (easy math this time....)

There is not a whole lot to report today.  I woke up at 5:15 AM, had everything ready, and was rolling out of the garage at 5:30 AM.  I entered the address for the motel in Colorado into my GPS and it estimated my arrival at 5:39 PM (there's a time change involved.)  I got to the motel at 6:15 PM.  Now I'm confused but it looks like the day worked out just about how I thought it would.

What is there to report about riding across Texas on the same roads I have ridden many times before.  Hiway 6 has less road construction than it used to.  The loop around Waco is a must.  Fort Worth doesn't look any richer from the freeway than Dallas does but I guess it is anyway.  And then there's US 287.

I think of US 287 as a very utilitarian road.  Its function is to get you from here to there and it does a great job of that.  It is the closest thing to a shortcut to Colorado that Texas can offer.  But man...  Most of the time it basically looks like this:


Except for the towns you have to remember to slow for instead of picking up a ticket and ruining your vacation.  And the trucks you have to dodge.  But mostly the trucks aren't a problem.  I actually like trucks and truck drivers very much.

What I don't like is what happens when you get to Amarillo and head north.  Through feedlot country.  Where the trucks carry animals that make quite an impression on motorcyclists who get the full Monty smell thing with occasional "what the heck was that???" splatters. I just duck behind my windshield when I see them coming.

Nothing went wrong.  I didn't stop except for gas and all that entails.  The weather was great.  Tail wind most of the way.

It is true that nothing actually went wrong...but I did pull my usual "Kerry and the gas" stunt.  Sometimes I just get so lost in my thoughts and enjoying the experience that I forget to pay attention to how far I've ridden since the last gas stop.  It isn't like the odometer is hard to see.  But I just don't notice it.  Over 100 miles slipped away unnoticed until I glanced down and saw that I had ridden 183 miles since my last gas stop and I had no idea how far it was to Raton, NM.  Fortunately I had my GPS to reassure me.  And I must have gotten great gas mileage with the tail wind because I filled up at 197 miles and only put 5.1 gals in my 6 gallon tank.

But then, for the next 16 minutes, I got to enjoy what I had ridden 800 miles to do.  Riding over a mountain pass.  This was my first video attempt and it worked.  I clicked the right buttons and everything.  Unfortunately, it seems the resulting file is too large to upload so that will have to wait until I edit this post sometime in the future.

No alarm tomorrow morning.  I get to ride over Wolf Creek Pass way up on the great divide, biking on down the other side right into Pagosa Springs.  Believe it or not, this has been a bucket list thing for me ever since the song first came out.

No comments: